Tuesday, April 03, 2007

More from Opening Day

It was hard not to think about Cory Lidle yesterday after watching his son and wife throw out the first pitch in front of the sold out crowd at Yankee Stadium. According to The New York Times Lidle’s locker in the Stadium was directly across from Thurman Munson’s, the other Yankee who also died in a plane crash. And like Munson’s locker since August 1979, Lidle’s will remain unused for the rest of the year.

***
An interesting comment from Charlie Manuel regarding the 2007 Phillies during his pre-game meeting with the writers:

“I’ve been excited ever since Jimmy Rollins made that statement about being the team to beat. This is one of the best bunch of guys I’ve been around as far as tempo to play the game.”

We think that’s Charlie-speak for there isn’t a lot of extraneous tomfoolery from his team. They just go out and play and leave the other stuff for others.

***
So I went out and did it… I got the Extra Innings thing from MLB.com. Only this year –unlike last season – I just got the audio package. That way I won’t have to worry about the freeze frames or switching frames from work to watch the action. Better yet, I’m not fully enveloping myself in the corporate hegemony of MLB by giving them close to $100 per season for the video. Instead, I’m forking over about $15, which, in a sense means I’m selling out (or buying in) but at a cut rate I don’t feel so bad about it.

Apparently MLB decided to relax its “Go pound sand” stance and is continuing negotiations with the cable companies for the rights to broadcast the Extra Innings package.

Tonight I’m going to listen to Randy Wolf’s debut for the Dodgers against the Brewers. That is if I don’t get distracted by the music I’ll undoubtedly be listening to.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

As a Phillies fan living in Atlanta, I'm dependent on the mlb.tv product and I've subscribed to it every year. I can't say I have a ton of complaints and I'm really impressed with the potential of their mlb.tv mosaic (on which you can watch 6 games at once), though I prefer to watch one game at a time.

If you listen to music a lot on your computer, you should check out last.fm which keeps track of everything you listen to if you sign up and download their program. Among other things, you can use it to display the music you like on your blog. It's a great site.

Tue Apr 03, 04:45:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Motorboat Jones said...

Very cool... thanks for the tip, Ryan. I'm definitely going to check that out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last year during the pennant races we made great use of the MLB.tv mosaic. This year, though, I feel like sticking it to the man a little bit. It's not much of a protest, in fact it's a little lame. But it's a protest nonetheless.

Tue Apr 03, 06:52:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home



© 2006 - John R. Finger - all rights reserved