Thursday, January 25, 2007

A conversation between A.I. and Jim Mora



***

Latest on CSN.com: Howard Focused on Big Season, Not Big Contract

Hamels Focused on Health, Winning for '07

***

When we struggle, we reach for help. That's why I've been running with my iPod lately. Of course "struggling" is a relative term, but for some reason I've needed a little extra motivation in order to put in the miles. So in that regard, these digital files that randomly were pumped into my skull during this morning's jaunt:

  • Love Sick - Bob Dylan
    There's a nasty guitar lick on this one that I just can't get enough of.

  • Trigger Cut - Pavement
    Interestingly Mark Ibold, the bassist in Pavement is a Lancasterian and his brother, Hans, was a year ahead of me at J.P. McCaskey. Mark, however, went to Lancaster Country Day, which I am staring at out my window as I type and ran past as this track played... on another note, Pavement's first album is one of those "desert island" type records.

  • Jessie's Girl - Rick Springfield
    Believe it or not, there is some interesting guitar work on this one -- OK, that's pushing it... just let me have some fun. Besides, this one worked very well in that bizarre scene in Boogie Nights. You know the one -- John C. Reilly, Thomas Jane and Marky Mark go over to Alfred Molina's house where his houseboy keeps lighting and setting off firecrackers. That scene should be studied in film schools across the country. Rick Springfield should be proud his song was used in that manner.

  • Southside - Moby
    I read something that Moby hated this song and Gwen Stefani's effort in it and that he nearly cut it from the album. It's kind of a cool song, I guess.

  • There Goes My Gun - The Pixies
    From a Peel Session. Wouldn't it be great if there were a way to dig in to John Peel's collection?

  • Knowing Me, Knowing You - Evan Dando
    Just Evan and a guitar playing an ABBA song -- that's hard to beat.

  • (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Devo
    During the early days of MTV -- back when they showed videos and were interesting -- this was a staple. It also makes me think about a Devo and John Belushi story that can't be repeated here.

  • Last Exit - Pearl Jam
    Recorded in Camden on July 5, 2003. Eddie Vedder was at the Vet that day before a Phillies game and he is really very short... then again, I'm 6-1 so maybe it's not him. Maybe it's me? Nevertheless, I watched and enjoyed Vedder's appearance on Iconoclasts on the Sundance channel where he's spends a day surfing and hanging out with Laird Hamilton in Hawaii. Most impressive is Hamilton who has inspired me to run or bike to the ballpark one day this upcoming summer. It will probably have to be a day game though, because I'm not riding or running home on the Turnpike after dark.

  • I Will Refuse - Pailhead
    Ian MacKaye and Al Jourgensen? Get out of here!

  • It Didn't Turn Out That Way - Mose Allison
    Mose Allison writes and performs perfect songs perfectly. Lately, it's taken force to get me to hit the shuffle button instead of listening to the new Evens record and Mose Allison.

  • Bonzo Goes to Bitburg - The Ramones
    My favorite Ramones song ever.

  • Bleeding Powers - Ted Leo & The Pharmacists
    Ted and the gang has a new album on the way. As a live performer, Ted is hard to beat.

  • A Doubt - John Frusciante
    OK... I forgot to include Frusciante with The Evens and Mose Allison. Better yet, Frusciante's epic output last year is some of the most interesting stuff I've heard in a while. I just don't understand how a guy can put out piles of exciting and great work like Frusciante has and then moonlight in a band as predictable and tired as the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

  • I Grow Cold - Shudder to Think
    There was a time when all I listened to was Shudder to Think's "Ten Spot," "Funeral At the Movies," and "Get Your Goat." I think that was 1993 or 1994.

  • Good Day Sunshine - The Beatles
    This one played as I ran by my mom's house and James Buchanan's Wheatland.

  • Spirit of the Radio - Rush
    This one reminds me of walking to school in fifth grade at James Buchanan Elementary. That was about 25 years ago.

  • Boredom - The Buzzcocks
    The Passed covered this one back when we were in high school.

    That was fun... maybe I'll try to get out again later since it's supposed to be really cold tomorrow.

    Labels: , , ,

  • 2 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I've seen that before. Kills me every time.

    Thu Jan 25, 11:11:00 AM EST  
    Blogger Motorboat Jones said...

    Ha! It's definitely hard to stop playing. If only there was a way to edit Iverson to show up for practice and become a better team player...

    Thu Jan 25, 02:42:00 PM EST  

    Post a Comment

    << Home



    © 2006 - John R. Finger - all rights reserved