Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Why the Hall not?

The ballots for the 2007 Baseball Hall of Fame class are out and without getting too much into it, there is a little hubbub about certain candidates. Nevertheless, if I had a vote –- which I don’t –- here are the players I would select for enshrinement:

  • Tony Gwynn
  • Jim Rice
  • Cal Ripken Jr.

    The following is a list of candidates that I liked, but wouldn’t select for one reason or another:

  • Bert Blyleven
  • Andre Dawson
  • Rich Gossage
  • Tommy John
  • Jack Morris
  • Dale Murphy
  • Dave Parker
  • Lee Smith

    Am I missing anyone?

    A couple of notes: This could be the first Hall of Fame ballot where I was old enough to see every one of the candidates play. In fact, I remember Dave Parker’s famous throw in the 1979 All-Star Game and Jim Rice’s epic 1978 season. I remember Andre Dawson in 1987, Dale Murphy in 1982 and ’83 and Jack Morris pitching in the greatest World Series game ever.

    Additionally, maybe they could come up with a new rule where a one person is removed from the Hall of Fame after every five are elected? Let’s start with Tony Perez and Bill Mazeroski.

    Labels:

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home



    © 2006 - John R. Finger - all rights reserved