Thursday, November 30, 2006

The Get Over Yourself Award

Along with the weekly football picks, I thought it would be fun to come up with another weekly feature called, “The Get Over Yourself Award.” This honor will be bestowed upon anyone who just seems to need to take a step back and reexamine the situation.

It’s our little way to point out the self important and egotistical. You know a little self-grandiosity that may or may not bit a rip-off of Keith Olbermann’s “Worst Person in the World” feature.

Yes, I see the irony in one person writing about how another should “get over himself.”

Anyway, the inaugural “Get Over Yourself” Award goes to Michael Strahan in a runaway balloting over Albert Pujols. Strahan gets the nod, of course, for his tirade directed toward a few members of the New York media throng covering the Giants at Wednesday’s practice. It was during Strahan’s rant where he seemed to have a wee bit of a problem with a reporter’s question regarding the football player’s comments about a teammate “quit” on a play during the loss to the Titans.

Now I’m no expert, but if a player makes a public comment it’s fair to ask a question about it. Public means public. If I decide to stand on the hill in my front yard and shout at cars as they pass by, people – including reporters – are allowed to ask me about it. I gave up my right to anonymity the second I poured that seventh cup of coffee and decided to take my dementia to the front yard.

But Strahan’s public comments aren’t why he is our big winner. Nope, that would just be way too easy. The following quote is what sealed the deal for the Giants’ sacker:

“The fact of the matter is we are 6-5,” Strahan said. “We have lost three games in a row. What do you want us to do, put our head down and run to a corner? We don’t do that. We’re men. We get back, we practice hard. We prepare to play to win. We don’t prepare to come in and have someone who wants to take a comment and try to divide teammates in a way that it just disrupts this team.

“We don’t have that division,” Strahan added. “So if you want to come here with a negative, you are coming to the wrong guy, because I am not a negative guy. I don’t kill my teammates. I’m a man and I talk to my teammates.”

Strahan then ranted about the media only wanting to write negative stories to sell newspapers.

“The only thing that bothers me is the fact that you mislead people outside of this locker room when you guys spend more time with us than we damn near spend with ourselves sometimes, and that’s a shame,” Strahan said.

With that, Strahan said he was finished and had to prepare for the Cowboys. He has been listed as doubtful for Sunday matchup for the NFC East lead.
“If you are going to be negative, be negative because if you think it bothers me I don’t give a damn what you write,” Strahan said.


Where do I start?

Actually, let’s just keep this clean and quick:

There is unmitigated genocide in Darfur. Estimates show that there are between 48,904 and 54,266 civilians and approximately 3,000 Americans killed in Iraq since March of 2003. It’s the last day of November and the temperature is expected to reach nearly 70 degrees, yet we’re supposed to give a bleep that the New York Giants are 6-5 and the Michael Strahan is still out there practicing hard despite all of those “negative” newspaper stories?

Hey big fella, get over yourself.

Just so no one believes this is some web site posturing, ALL winners of The Get Over Yourself Award will be invited to go out to dinner on me the next time they find themselves in Lancaster, Pa.

I'll take them out for a steak the size of toilet seat... or for some of my veggie boy crap -- their choice.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



© 2006 - John R. Finger - all rights reserved