Monday, October 16, 2006

It's the playoffs (TV edition)!

I am not a multi-tasker. If I’m going to do one thing well then I have to concentrate and buckle down – that means no distractions or several different interests pulling me in different directions. No, I don’t have an attention-span problem – at least not clinically.

Maybe that’s why I never really pay attention to the announcers in a baseball game. At least that’s the case for a game I’m trying to focus on. To me, the announcers are background fodder or the digitalized musak heard in a doctor’s office or elevator.

I’m not saying the people who have those jobs aren’t valuable or that they don’t work hard, because they do. For the Phillies, Chris Wheeler is one of those first-to-arrive-and-last-to-leave types of guys. He studies the game like crazy and it shows when one chats with him. That said, I just don’t listen. I can’t if I want to understand what’s happening in the game.

Hey, I’m funny that way.

That’s why when I heard Fox fired Steve Lyons I just shrugged. I can’t say I’m too familiar with his work. Oh sure, I know all about Steve Lyons – the first foul ball I ever caught (Memorial Stadium in Baltimore, Red Sox vs. Orioles in June ’86) Lyons hit it, and I’ve heard stories about his wacky antics from his playing days. I also know he works with the Dodgers broadcast team with Charlie Steiner and the great Jay Johnstone.

But as far as Lyons’ work on Fox… I missed it.

Nevertheless, I read the story about his ouster and what he said, etc. To me it sounds like Fox was looking for an excuse to run him out, which is fine. They already have Lou Piniella working in the booth for the ALCS – what do they need Lyons for?

Some people ask the same questions about Tim McCarver, and it’s not just the fans either. There are media critics and columnists out there who pay attention to McCarver’s (and others’) analysis and wax on about it.

Really? What a waste of time. If you are a columnist or a so-called sports expert and you need Tim McCarver’s expertise in order to enjoy a baseball game on TV better, maybe baseball isn’t for you. It’s kind of like being assigned to read a great book, but only looking at the Cliff Notes.

So Steve Lyons was fired by Fox, huh? Is that why the Tigers swept the A’s?

Maybe I should clarify something – I do listen to Vin Scully when I tune into a Dodgers’ game. But when I do that, I’m going specifically to listen to Vin, not watch the game. In a different way, I like to listen to Jerry Remy on Red Sox broadcasts, though I’m not interested in what Remy has to say. I just like his New England accent.

That Joe Buck has a nice-sounding voice, too, but I can't not think of Jon Voight when I hear his name.

As for Game 4 of the NLCS, it looks as if the Mets got just what they needed – a innings-eating outing from a starter to give the bullpen a break. They also will get a trip back to Shea, which means the pressure is on the Cardinals for tonight’s Game 5.

The Glavine vs. Weaver on three-days rest match up should be intriguing.

Meanwhile, the Tigers are at Club Med relaxing and waiting to get back to work.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



© 2006 - John R. Finger - all rights reserved