Thursday, October 26, 2006

It's a rain out!

Was it me or did it seem that Joe Buck was laughing at us when he said, “So we’ll send you back to ‘The War at Home’ while we wait out the rain delay in St. Louis.”

It seemed that way to me. Smug and pompous, Joe was taunting us as the camera melted away from the raindrops falling heavily on the tarp at Busch Stadium. Instead of watching Michael Rappaport in some schlocky sit-com, Buck was able to watch it rain. Had he just painted a wall he could have watched it dry instead of watching episode after episode of that show.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

But while waiting for a game that was never to be played on Wednesday night, I did a little thinking and here’s what I came up with: “comedy” isn’t as funny as it used to be.

Yeah, I know. I’m some old guy saying, “things sure were better in my day.” Well… wasn’t it? Does any one think that half of the sit-coms on TV now would have had a chance in the 1980s? Now, it seems as if watching network television is like having a lobotomy without the surgery.

The same goes for comedy movies. Just for comparisons sake, I watched Animal House to see how it held up nearly 30 years after its release. If you want to know the truth, it’s better than anything being produced now.

The reason, I think, is there was actual character and plot development in the old-time comedies. There was a motivation and a familiarity with the characters, while in the Ricky Bobby picture, for instance, it was just a highlight film of one-liners and slick editing.

Don’t get me wrong, Will Ferrell was brilliant in Old School, which I believe is a “throwback” to the glory days of motion-picture comedy, but I’m not sure if he can carry a picture. Take Ron Burgundy -- it was funny and I enjoyed the character, but the movie stunk.

So that’s what we get with the rain out of Game 4 – bad comedy and a bad blog post.

On another note, my 2½-year-old boy has been having trouble sleeping at night lately. It seems as if we have a problem with monsters here on Landis Ave. that I’ll have to take care of soon. Nevertheless, the boy and I spent part of Monday night flipping through the dial, watching old movies hoping it would relax him and get him to fall asleep. However, when his mom got home I knew I was in trouble when he walked over to the TV and pointed at the robust and portly man on the screen.

“Belushi!” he told her. “Belushi!”

The kid is learning... maybe too much.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sitcoms are pretty bad right now, you are right. "How I Met Your Mother" and "Scrubs" are the only watchable ones.

Thu Oct 26, 12:05:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

That show is the worst thing on the air right now, even though the competition is fierce .. I'm with you on Joe Buck too .. I think he was taking tremendous pleasure in torturing us

Thu Oct 26, 03:45:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Motorboat Jones said...

Perhaps I misspoke when I impugned all current TV shows. The HBO shows are great, but they aren't gripped with the same limitations as the networks. Plus, my father-in-law, who is a notorious television hater says "Friday Night Lights" and "Law and Order" are very good, too.

Thu Oct 26, 04:05:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home



© 2006 - John R. Finger - all rights reserved