Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The plan

A couple of regular readers were curious about my marathon training program, and what I did to prepare myself for those races. I really don't know how to answer these questions since everybody reacts to training regimes differently.

Personally, I like to run a lot of miles. It makes me feel better, though I have learned through trial and error that if I do too many weeks over 110 miles, I have a tendency to break down. Back in the old days, I cranked out months of 130-miles weeks only to get to the starting line worn out. That really sucked.


However, 100 to 105 miles per week seems to be the magic number as long as keep my interval sessions more strength-based than repeats on a track. I seem to recover pretty quickly from workout to workout when sticking to a steady and strict 100-mile plan.

Anyway, for those who asked, here's what I did last week and I'll try to keep this updated for the personal and public record. Why should there be any secrets?

Monday: 14.4 miles @ medium pace with hills. Surged on all hills.
Tuesday: 20 miles on grass @ 7:06 pace.
Wednesday: 13 miles easy.
Thursday: 17 miles on grass @ 6:50 pace.
Friday: 14.4 miles easy.
Saturday: 14.4 miles with 5x 1 mile in 5:45.
Sunday: 7 miles easy in 48:42.

100.2 miles for third straight week... fourth 100-mile week in last six weeks, with two weeks at 7,500-feet of altitude mixed in.

There are 13 weeks to go before the Harrisburg Marathon on Nov. 12.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



© 2006 - John R. Finger - all rights reserved