Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Hamels pre-game press conference

I feel really good. I think I feel more confident mentally and physically.

I don't think I'll stop my exercises for as long as I play baseball and continue living.

On nine-inning game in SWB: That was a big deal. I didn't even know what my pitch count was.

On Floyd:
We've just been contacting each other with AIM text messaging on the phone. we haven't really had any detailed conversations. Now that I'm up here, we'll definitely be able to have some time to talk and get to know each other a lot better.

Take it like I do every day. Going out there, try not to make it feel like there's a difference. I know there will be a lot more fans in the stands, a little bit better competition. But I prepare every day to go out compete at my level.

I think it's all the hard work I've done just starting to pay off

My realistic goal was eight weeks, so I accomplished something.

I plan on staying. That's my main goal. I want to be here as long as I can.

Reason for success:
Just more focus. I know that there's a lot of fun in everything out there. You can get yourself in some trouble. But you have to really set aside the other aspects of life to accomplish your goals.

I go out and try to treat every game the same.

All that matters in winning. That's what the fans of Philadelphia like.

The day I got drafted was the same type of experience.

The majority of the people I ever got to watch were right-handed. I did get to watch Tom Glavine. The other people I got to watch were Trevor Hoffman, John Smoltz, Greg Maddux.

On Phils taking a chance on him:
It's one of the keys to motivate me, but deep down, it's what I've always wanted to do.

It's always been a dream, and now it's becoming a realistic dream at that.

On how he got notified of his call-up:
Coach called me into the office, and I figured, 'OK, the only reason you get called into the office is if you're going to get yelled at or if you get good news and I didn't do anything wrong."

I felt I was executing on everything I possibly could and I needed another challenge out there.

It's a lot different up here with your competition, and things can change in a heartbeat.

The first call was to my girlfriend and the second one was to my parents. I know my mom won't like that.

On hype:
I've become more aware of it going to Scranton. In Clearwater, you average about 100 fans, so you don't experience the Hoorah that you get at the elite levels.

I'm definitely flattered by that. I'm the type of person that would definitely like to be under the radar. Being in the situation I am, I don't think that will happen, so I have to learn how to deal with it.

I don't think I'd really like to look at the scouting reports. I'm more focused on just getting out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



© 2006 - John R. Finger - all rights reserved